[Tagging] Change of rendering: place of worship and terminal without building tag

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 12:54:23 UTC 2015

I'm mapping in Thailand where the majority of temples sit inside a
compound, typically enclosed by walls, inside of which are the main temple
and any number of buildings. Monks' residences, guest facilities, food
shops, all are enclosed by the walls. The enclosures are fairly obvious in
the Bing aerial imaging and mappers frequently enclose the whole thing and
then tag it. We seldom try to sketch the temple outline because the imagery
here is not always clear enough. And there are so many of them, I often
simply place a node on the main building and tag that.

Based on my reading of the discussion on this list about landuse=religious,
those enclosed areas fit that intended use perfectly. I have not started
tagging anything as yet because I'm not sure it will make it through the
rigorous discussions that ensued concerning its use.

Cheers,

AlaskaDave

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 7:41 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 3, 2015, at 7:35 PM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
> >
> >> this is just a polygon around a church yard, with the rest of the
> buildings and amenities inside.
> >
> > EXCEPT it does NOT say church yard but religious landuse.
> >
> > So this is how I would use this tag: http://i.imgur.com/KZvkB3i.png
>

> that looks like a big polygon around the church grounds to me. Maybe a
> couple different ones for the differently named church grounds (as they all
> seem to have different labels).
>

> Javbw.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska