[Tagging] Tag destination vs. relation destination_sign

Lukas Sommer sommerluk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 18:40:01 UTC 2015

Looking at the description, I could imagine that the original idea was
to use key:destination on motorways and similar roads (primary WITH
primary_junction), because there you have normally no crossroads, but
only “y junctions” on oneways. So for motorways it is more likely that
there is only one version of the content of the signposts. But at
normal crossroads, it may be more likely that the signpost content for
one of the leaving ways is different (different content depending of
the road from which you are coming).

However, that’s just raw guess about the original intention. Also
unsure if all these assumtions are correct (on the ground).

> I suggest to remove the section "When to use" and instead add the
> following sentence (or similar): "Instead of they key destination, one
> might also use the relation destination_sign, which is able to provide
> detailed information about the type and colour(s) of the road sign."

+1. Key:destination for the simple cases the the relation for the
complex cases seems fine for me.

Lukas

PS: In the wiki, Key:destination is used for “signposts or ground
writing”, but Relation:destination_sign only for signposts. I would
extend Relation:destination_sign also to ground writings. And in
general, I think it would be a good idea to harmonize the allowed tags
(key:distance, key:time) between key:destination and
relation:destination_sign.

PPS: As far as I understand, the key:destination is used on OSM ways
_after_ a signpost/groundwriting. If this is correct, the examples
with the yellow and white signposts on the wiki page are confusing
(tagging a motorway_link makes no sense here), and I would recommand
to remove these three examples.
Lukas Sommer