[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC: Reverse Vending Machine

makko makko at brainscorch.net
Sun Jan 11 02:35:31 UTC 2015

Apparently there is no consensus what to use to indicate reverse vending
machines (RVM).
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_vending_machine
    and:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bottle_reverse_vending_machines

I therefore would like to suggest a set of tags that can be used in this
case.

First of all the tag to indicate the RVM itself, applied to a single node:

amenity=reverse_vending_machine

Since most RVMs do not give out cash, we need something to indicate
where the coupons
or marks can be redeemed. For this I suggest using the operator tag with
the markets
or the market chains name as the value.

operator= <Market/Market Chain>

Furthermore, we need something to indicate what kind of items the RVM
accepts.
Some people suggested using the tags known from recycling for this. However,
since refundable items usually require to have a certain icon or
barcode, this
seems not suitable. Additionally RVMs sometimes accept whole crates of
bottles.
Therefore I suggest using dedicated tags for this purpose:

refund:plastic_bottles=yes
refund:glass_bottles=yes
refund:cans=yes
refund:crates=yes

In some cases, operators only accept the items they themselves are
providing.
This is in some countries prohibited by law, but sometimes ignored.
For this purpose I suggest an optional tag, which indicates an RVM, which
only accepts refundable items that can be obtained from the operator.

refund:operator_only=yes|no

Regards, Lumiukko