[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC: Reverse Vending Machine

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 12 04:45:26 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM, makko <makko at brainscorch.net> wrote:

> Apparently there is no consensus what to use to indicate reverse vending
> machines (RVM).
>    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_vending_machine
>    and: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bottle_reverse_
> vending_machines
>
> I therefore would like to suggest a set of tags that can be used in this
> case.
>
> First of all the tag to indicate the RVM itself, applied to a single node:
>
> amenity=reverse_vending_machine
>
> Since most RVMs do not give out cash, we need something to indicate where
> the coupons
> or marks can be redeemed. For this I suggest using the operator tag with
> the markets
> or the market chains name as the value.
>
> operator= <Market/Market Chain>
>
> Furthermore, we need something to indicate what kind of items the RVM
> accepts.
> Some people suggested using the tags known from recycling for this.
> However,
> since refundable items usually require to have a certain icon or barcode,
> this
> seems not suitable. Additionally RVMs sometimes accept whole crates of
> bottles.
> Therefore I suggest using dedicated tags for this purpose:
>
> refund:plastic_bottles=yes
> refund:glass_bottles=yes
> refund:cans=yes
> refund:crates=yes

How is this not a recycling center?  I agree, perhaps the refund namespace
should be a thing, but I don't think anybody, in practice, gives two shakes
whether some teenager in the back of Fred Meyer is counting cans out of a
cart or if they're dumping them into a CanStar bin, unless they buy a lot
of off-brand products that are chain-specific (in which, you either would
rather have someone just count cans instead of checking to actually see if
that chain sold 'em or not, otherwise you're having to go find a
*different* chain's
CanStar thingie to try again next time you take out a load of recycling,
repeat ad nauseum, if your local bottle bill works the same way as
Oregon's).  Though that might also need supplemental tagging for "brands
accepted"...