[Tagging] Power networks European codification scheme

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:54:27 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've just discovered a document published by ENTSO-E which is the European
authority for power Transmission System Operators (like RTE in France or
TenneT in Germany :
https://www.entsoe.eu/about-entso-e/inside-entso-e/member-companies/Pages/default.aspx
)

This document summarizes a couple of principles for power system elements
codification.
http://clients.rte-france.com/htm/fr/vie/telecharge/EIC-Reference%20Manual%20v4r4.pdf

I think it would be great to introduce the key ref:EU:EIC to tag
transmission power lines, power plant or transmission power substation with
it.
These codes seem to be unique all around Europe and they would allow us to
sustainably identify a lot of features (instead of using the OSM ID only).

I only found one instance of eic_code=* on taginfo which actually concern a
feature located in Czech Republic (they do have a wikipedia page for it
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIC_k%C3%B3d)

If everyone agree about the key, I may add it to the Power Transmission
Refinement proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_transmission_refinement

All the best

*François Lacombe*