[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - addrN:*

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:29:55 UTC 2015

The idea, if I understand it, is to allow for some arbitrary number of
values for an address.

That's an important goal as we increase the number of addresses in OSM.

I do have some questions/concerns about this specific proposal.

As I examine it, it serves one very specific purpose, which is a
building with two addresses.

In my experience, this setup is often (not always) associated with a
building with two entrances, each associated with an address.

In that scenario, I'd much prefer to see two nodes, each with their
address, and each tagged as an entrance.

The other way I see these entrances used in real life is that one
business or residence within a building uses one address, while
another uses a different one.

Here again, a POI would be more accurate and easier to parse.

This leaves us with the scenario with a building which has both
addresses associated with any entrance.

So here we essentially a list of values.

To that end, I don't see why we can't use the existing OSM list value
separator, the semicolon, so the address is:

addr=val1;val2;val3

This is advantageous to data users because without this, they would
have to look for N arbitrary tags, as in addr, add2, add3, etc.

What benefit does this proposal have over simply using a list separator?

- Serge