[Tagging] Basic philosophy of OSM tagging

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:30:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM, MichaƂ Brzozowski <www.haxor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some people in Poland (the ones who never browse community forums)
> maniacally tag every dirt road as highway=track, even if it should be
> residential+unpaved (Like short named streets at suburbs)

so how would this be solved by more formal rules ? The wiki now already
discribes how to tag such a road.
If people insist on taking the wrong value in the editor, you cannot do
much about it. In controlled environments you can fire the employee if they
don't map by the rules, in OSM you can only block 1 user account after a
long process. Are there any other crowd-sourced maps ? Otherwise it would
be difficult to find examples of how others do it.

Maybe it's way too easy to start mapping. Maybe you should first follow a
course on how to map before making your first edit. During this course you
can learn about the good mapping habits in your country. But this is
probably also not a popular measure.

I  like your idea of editors adding more tags in their presets, but it
doesn't necessarily have to be the approved ones. Some non approved tags
are used more. So, all the ones with significant usage according to taginfo
should be included.

The more I learn about the tag-approval process, the less suitable it seems
to me for an every growing community. Maybe 10 votes was a lot in the early
days, now it is peanuts. This morning I just thought about it and it is
pretty easy to set up 10 accounts and vote in favour of any tag I like.
Same is true for no-votes. There is no control over who votes... Not that
it was misused in this way yet.

Regarding the tagging:

is it important that there are 100's of amenities on the toplevel ? What's
the problem with that ? I really don't care what the key is under which
e.g. place_of_worship can be found, it could as well have been "aaa001". I
just hope that the editor allows me to look for place of worship and offer
me the right tag. I there anyone browsing all amenities ? On the wiki I
just search for the value and hope to get the right page.

We should have better tools to find the tags we need, the schema is less
important. Someone is working on a tool to show all similar tags, using
synonyms etc. that seems very promising to me

regards