[Tagging] Basic philosophy of OSM tagging

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 15 21:22:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 18:07 +0100, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> Some people in Poland (the ones who never browse community forums)
> maniacally tag every dirt road as highway=track, even if it should be
> residential+unpaved

Thats is a case of "tagging for the renderer" I'm afraid. They do that
because they want to see the map show the unpaved-ness (sorry) of the
road. Clearly wrong but you can understand why they do it.

I have had my say on the topic many times as has many other people.

It does, IMHO, highlight one more aspect of this philosophy question.
People map and want to see the data they enter used in some way. That
"seeing" is an essential part of the feedback loop. We need to consider
that when looking at how people choose (or invent) tags.

David