[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Cluster

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jan 15 22:10:29 UTC 2015

On 15.01.2015 02:02, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Cluster
>
> This is for grouping features that are more or less of the same kind. See
> examples.

I feel this is far too generic. Imagine a renderer which wants to show
names of lakes at zoom 12, cliff formations at zoom 14, and cave systems
at zoom 16. If all these are simply a type=cluster + name=*, then that
becomes difficult. There needs to be a clear indication of what type of
feature we are dealing with, not just a name.

Generally, I prefer relation types like "building", "bridge" or even
"street" over vague types like "cluster", "multiobject" or "collection"
that try to be applicable to everything and too often fail to be a
perfect fit for anything.