[Tagging] Basic philosophy of OSM tagging

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:14:04 UTC 2015

On 16/01/2015, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
 Historical contributors and leaders will tell you that there is no
> "official committee" in OSM. But, to be a litle provocative, I would
> say we already have two committees for tagging scheme:
> - the JOSM presets maintainers
> - the DWG

AFAIK the DWG's influence on tags is fairly light. But all the editors
(not just josm), the renderings (especially the "default" mapnik one,
but also the specialized 3d and indoor ones), the search engines
(Nominatim), the routers (OSRM) all carry a lot of weight. Anybody
spending time on the wiki and mailing lists (and to a lesser degree
also on forum, irc, help, etc) carry some weight too.

Of course not everybody has the same weight... But that crowd is
varied enough that there's IMHO no reason to fear one overreaching
commitee.