[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - addrN:*

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 18:48:23 UTC 2015

I support using the addrN:* tagging proposed here in the specific
situation where a single residence or business has multiple addresses.
Note I am not referring to a building with multiple occupiers, but a
single addressee with more than one address. In England I have never
encountered this situation for residential addresses, but have done so
very occasionally for shops and other businesses.

Here is an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/290380382

In cases like this there is probably only one 'official' address, but if
the available sources are contradictory it is desirable to record both.
This situation sometimes arises when a business decides their official
address is confusing and they then invent another one which they think
is clearer for people trying to find them.

I think it's rarely a good idea to add the same feature twice, which is
the obvious alternative for tagging this. I dislike the idea of using
relations for multiple addresses because it's over-complicating things:
a lot of mappers find relations confusing.

I do not support using addrN:* tagging for the common case of multiple
occupancy buildings. It simply does not work in a lot of cases, because
different businesses in one building also require different names and
other tags and I don't think we want to start using name:2=* office:2=*,
and so on, to distinguish them.

Cheers,
Will