[Tagging] Tagging road illumination quality

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:09:23 UTC 2015

Hi -

Yes, it's useful to go beyond lit=yes and lit=no. Some of those
suggestions such as "poor" and "sufficient" are too subjective, as I
think you already acknowledge. Not only are they value judgments but
they depend on the user's perspective and needs, so please do try to
avoid them.

Some of the existing values, rarely used, are "indirect", "partial",
"sparsely", "limited". It would be nice if we could grow some
consensus on useful values to use. In my experience sparse lighting is
common (and very different from full street lighting). One
possibility: something like lit=0.5 for a highway which is lit
sparsely (or light is obstructed) so that it is effectlvely lit along
50% of its length...?!

Best
Dan