[Tagging] Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 19 10:37:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 4:27 AM, moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 19/01/2015, NopMap <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > There seems to be an edit war on the wiki page
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Avoid_semi-colon_value_separator
> >
> > I personally think that the problem has been discussed many times and it
> is
> > well understood that semicolon lists only work for some special tags and
> > would generally be discarded as invalid values. Some of the more tricky
> > problems like undefined order are harder to grasp. So making the problem
> as
> > clear as possible in the wiki has its merits.
> >
> > However, the changes were somewhat extreme - especially the change of the
> > page name would rather be hiding information. And they are not backed up
> by
> > a link to any discussion.
> >
> > On the other hand, just reverting them does not feel right to me either.
> > Some of the examples have their merit.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Disclaimer: I lean in the "avoid semicolons" camp but am not hard-set
> against them.

I'm curious how this is going to work given that route relations aren't
universally replacing tagging road refs on the underlying ways yet, as
these are frequently multiplexed in North America (at pretty much every
level) and Europe (particularly with E routes), and there seems to be some
opposition to fixing this by moving refs to relations still for Europe
reasons that don't seem to be applicable at all (because of the E route
situation causing multiplexes there anyway).