[Tagging] Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:08:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM, althio <althio.forum at gmail.com> wrote:

> New people can have problems or make mistakes and then experienced
> users can help and point to recommended tagging or explain good
> practices .

Not everybody reaches out to community for help. Probably many just stop
mapping, requiring them to create a new key, instead of typing something in
a free text field is not going to help IMHO.

> In this thread we are also most interested in multiple values.

I know :-)

> Or do you refer to iD (as the main editor for new people) where it is
> not possible to override presets to edit keys on the first part of the
> tag panel?

What I tried to explain is that when you go for a tagging scheme where only
cuisine:xxx=yes is allowed, the editor (iD) should offer a simple UI that
allows people to create new "values". In this case that means keys, since
the values are actually in the  keys.

At this moment, it is also not possible to create JOSM presets that
generates keys based on user input AFIAK.

Using a xxx:yyy schema also requires checkboxes besides every existing
value in JOSM presets.
So I don't see how it is any easier for new mappers or preset creators.

regards