[Tagging] Electronic or 'e' cigarettes?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:41:25 UTC 2015

On 22/01/2015, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
>> Using "-" instead of "_" goes against a very established tagging practice.
>
> Only for whitespace as far as I know. So I don't see a issue here.

That surprises me, but looking at a dump of Ireland (taginfo search is
too coarse, so I used some local data I had) there does seem to be
some cases, namely "semi-detached" and "multi-storey". I wanted to
search the british isles extract, but that's taking ages to process.

I stand corrected.

> I would even say using _ is wrong.
>
> e_cigarette => "e cigarette"
> e-cigarette => "e-cigarette"

It's not at all clear that "e-cigarette" is more common outside osm
than "e cigarette" or "ecigarette", as a google search will show you.

On 22/01/2015, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is it really to much typing to use electronic_cigarettes ?

I don't think so, I'd be happy to use the more verbose, less
marketing, less varied "electronic_cigarette" (singular, just because
there's no more reason to make it plural than any other shop=*
value... but it's a nitpick and I'm not going to argue about it if
people feel otherwise).

> Anyway, I do not know a single shop in my area which only sells them so
> shop=* will never fit.

I know a few that litterally sell just that. It's probably just a
trend (anyone knows of a shop that only sells cigarettes ?) but a lot
of them exist today.