[Tagging] Deprecation of associatedStreet-relations

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Jan 24 07:47:59 UTC 2015

On 23.01.2015 21:53, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> The counter-argument is that a novice is less likely to break the data
> when updating an area that is mapped using associatedStreet. I like
> the fact the fact that people need not even be aware of addresses in
> order to fix a street name.

That's not really true, the name tag on the relation is "recommended".
So the newbie would have to be aware of the relation to edit the name
both on the relation and the ways.

Even ignoring that, operations hindered by relations (especially mapping
new addresses, but also renaming only part of a street, changing the
street of a house's address, ...) are *a lot* more common than your
example. Even if we had mapped addresses to completion, addresses would
still change a lot more often than street names.

> Given that relations in general are not going away, the proper
> solution to the "novices have trouble with relations" problem is not
> to use less relations but to make relations easyer to edit and better
> documented.

Few are going to read documentation when they just start out editing, so
basic tasks really need to be relation-free to ensure a good experience.
Streets, buildings and addresses are some of the most basic concepts
there are, which makes associatedStreet so problematic.