[Tagging] Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Никита acroq3 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:20:01 UTC 2015

> You know that it's always a trade-off, right?
Exactly. Regex advocates are ponies in DB design.

> disk usage/IO
Index lookup for "color:green:lightgreen"=yes is fast.
full table scan just to compute regex for each value is not

Or wait do you have an custom DB for OSM tailored both for regexes and
geo-queries?

> network traffic could increase.
1-2 more tags per object? So? Yes, it will *increase *traffic load*.*

There no option to choose between if somebody choose to use ";" in value.
You have to use regexes. FYI, this is not sane thing to do with relational
databases. I'd rather add more indexes that will search for answers like
these:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/10694/pattern-matching-with-like-similar-to-or-regular-expressions-in-postgresql

Do you get my point now about technical aspect of this? We need multivalue
tags, there easier way to avoid problem: avoid multiple values in *value *part
of key=value.

>  i suggest learning to deal with it.
Are you an idiot? I mean really. Try answer these points:

   - we can provide clear definition at wiki page for iD or JOSM developers
   with description of tag instead of guessing by taginfo stats EVERY time
   they want to adjust something in presets
   - custom strings in editors or JOSM presets are easier to add