[Tagging] patron saints

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 05:53:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-26 01:39, Friedrich Volkmann wrote :
> On 25.01.2015 23:30, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>> On 1/26/15, Lukas Sommer <sommerluk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And I think it makes sense to define explicitly some things in the
>>> documentation. Things like – use always (or use never) “Saint”:
>>> “Saint Paul” vs “Paul”.
> That's a good point. In German, there are name variations for many
> saints, e.g. Nepomuk = Johannes Nepomuk. There are name variations
> even for the word "saint": "Sankt", "St.", "Heiliger", "Hl.", none.
> But AFAIK the official dedication for a given church is always a fixed
> version of the name. Of course that breaks comparability.
And it make sense too to also say which tag this comment is about.
Please leave the name=* tag alone as it is: the words by which something
is referred to in local language (a definition missing from Key:name
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>  and  Names
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names> which as usual in this wiki
define name as the name and even as the default name, like a survey
being a survey, causing everybody to have his own interpretation of it
and discussions like this).

If you want to keep in line with the wiki, that is Names
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names>, add a something_name=* to it
for your purpose.
And if you want to do unlike the wiki, don't forget to specify what to
do when there are several "patron saints" like name=Église
Saints-Hermès-et-Alexandre