[Tagging] length=

Yann Kacenelen ykacenelen at sdis91.fr
Tue Jan 27 15:58:29 UTC 2015

Hi Mike, hi François, hi all,

I don't find the "length=*" tag redundant either for linear objects
like streetlines, especially in the case of pretty steep ones: as
they're projected for mapping purposes from 3D to 2D, their actual
length is not the one you measure on the map but you should consider
dividing it by cosinus(A) where A is the angle of inclination between
the local horizontal plan and the linear feature. Pythagore said it, man
;-)
E.g.: a 17-degree mapped mountain road or San Francisco street's will
get its actual length a 5% bonus compared to its real-life counterpart.
Pick a 100-meter-or-more road, it's not just a bunch of cm. Depends on
the accuracy you need, mostly for analysis purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_%28slope%29
http://www.datapointed.net/visualizations/maps/san-francisco/streets-slope/

My 2c,

- Yann