[Tagging] length=

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:01:15 UTC 2015

On 28/01/2015 3:26 AM, Mike Thompson wrote:
>> E.g.: a 17-degree mapped mountain road or San Francisco street's will get
>> its actual length a 5% bonus compared to its real-life counterpart.
> True, but such roads are not very common (17 degree ~= 30%). There are
> a few short streets in places like San Francisco that are this steep.
> In these cases if someone actually went out and measured them with
> suitably precise equipment it might make sense to have some sort of
> length tag, but I would suggest something to differentiate it from a
> purely horizontal measurement. Of course, you could also drape the OSM
> data over a suitably detailed DEM (digital elevation model) to get
> your answer as well.

Or you could tag the slope/gradient of the road .. I've tagged a short
section of my street at 17% .. that is averaged .. it peaks at 23%. You
can then use that to work out the travelled distance, height gained/lost
etc.

As for tracks being out by uptp 20% .. that is faily normal expection on
outback roads .. they are dirt and if the grader driver (or his boss,
the local farmer etc) think it would be better off over there .,. then
that is where it goes .. can add some distance to what is on the map or
road sign. I've come across a road that was realigned in such a manner
for over 100 miles.