[Tagging] length=

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:22:52 UTC 2015

> Some small features can actually be summarized as nodes when drawing their
> shape sounds irrelevant regarding the cluttering it introduces.
>
> I'm sorry that was trivial for me.
> I won't draw a circle for a 5cm diameter pole and so on...

while for a pole (especially a quite small one) geometry does indeed not
give you a great gain, it does provide additional information for other
small shapes even if they are on the limit of what we can represent, e.g. a
telephone booth, a bench, a street cabinet, etc., because the geometry
gives you orientation information and also other positioning information
relative to close by objects (e.g. adjacent or with a gap, in line or
shifted) and allows for further details like the position of the
door/entrance, etc.

I admit this is hardcore micromapping and mostly I don't do it like this
myself but use a node, just wanted to point out that there are situations
where more detailed geometry does make sense also in the case of tiny
objects.

cheers,
Martin