[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Quay

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:06:55 UTC 2015

Am 28.01.2015 um 02:51 schrieb Warin:
> On 27/01/2015 9:29 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
>> (This discussion originated on talk - crossposted to tagging on
>> Malcolm's suggestion)

>>> To quote the IHO dictionary: "quay. A WHARF approximately parallel to
>>> the SHORELINE and accommodating ships on one side only, the other
>>> side being attached to the SHORE. It is usually of solid
>>> construction, as contrasted with the open pile construction usually
>>> used for PIERS."
>>>
>>> So yes, your reasoning is correct & that section of the coastline
>>> that forms the quay could indeed be tagged "man_made=quay".
>>
>> Yes, this is about what I had in mind:
>> - Either take a section of natural=coastline and overload it with
>> man_made=quay
>> - Or draw a dedicated man_made=quay way on top of a natural=coastline
>>
>> I have no idea which one would be best. I lean towards the first one
>> for easier editing - ways exactly on top of each other are difficult
>> to select.

> Off topic.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Harbour#Quay .. is
> dated .. 2008 or before .. 8 years ? proposed? Ridiculous! Abandoned ..
> why? And what is used in its place? Very poor documentation - nothing
> directly on why it failed.

Sadly, all proposal without a change within some time period where set
to abandoned some time ago. Please feel free to take over and reactivate it.

> ================
>
>  One could also use waterway=quay or waterway=wharf. This would
> associate it with a waterway, might be a natural feature (think of a
> solid sandstone bank used as a wharf), or man made so why not waterway?
> Does not sit with man_made=pier .. but those don't occur as natural
> features? My thinking is to follow highway=* tagging where traffic
> lights are tagged hightway=traffic_lights rather than
> man_made=traffic_lights. This groups things together for a more logical
> system of things that would be associated all in the one main tag.

Actually, I am in favour of creating more keys in stead of too much
grouping. We already get conflicts with highway=traffic_lights vs.
highway=crossing and imagine traffic_calming=* to be under
highway=traffic_calming.

I would propose to use man_made=quay analog to pier and guess that there
are not many natural quays.
Still waterway=quay is used a little more often [1], so documentation
and some con-sense is needed.

> As the coastline in some places is man made .. I'd much rather see
> coastline as waterway=coastline rather than natural=coastline. This
> comes back to my thoughts on OSM tagging philosophy/thinking/order

waterways are all linear objects and it contradicts to your
waterway=quay/wharf

I would not take all keys literally and we will always have a discussion
about natural=* I guess.

Cheers fly

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=quay#values