[Tagging] patron saints

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:12:10 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-28 13:43, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote :
> <mailto:simone.saviolo at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 2015-01-27 11:25, André Pirard wrote :
>>     You should urgently warn the Vatican
>>     <https://www.google.be/search?&q=site:va%20%22sainte+vierge+marie%22&oq=site%3Ava+%22sainte%20vierge%20marie%22>
>>     !
>     Speaking of Vatican, i.e. Roman Catholic Church, Mary is Blessed,
>     not Saint. Her title is Beata Virgo Maria (Beata Vergine Maria in
>     Italian, Blessed Virgin Mary in English). She is an unordinary
>     Blessed, as she and her feasts are more important than those of
>     the Saints; anyway, "Saint Mary" is nothing but a popular name :-)
>

> Are you sure about this? Because I have heard about "Santissima Madre
> di Dio" (holiest mother of God)
My reply was of course kidding. That, in Simone's terms, the Vatican use
a popular language ;-)
The fact is that in French, we use no such words as "Blessed".
We use "saint(e)" as a noun or as an adjective.
"La sainte Vierge Marie" (adjective) means "blessed Mary".
"Sainte Marie" (noun) is normally not said (except in the "Hail Mary..."
prayer ;-)  , in which it's an adjective) and would mean that "Mary is a
saint".
"Un saint" (noun) is someone who has been canonized
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonization>.
"Un saint homme" (adjective) was not (necessarily), he is virtuous.

Santissima is an adjective.
"Holy Mary" was never canonized (it would be seen as a joke).
But what about "Saint Joseph", sort of half one, Simone (no (more)
comment from me ;-) ).

Bless you,

André.