[Tagging] RFD pipeline sub tag substance

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:21:17 UTC 2015

Am 29.01.2015 um 10:59 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

>> if this is the proper term used for pipelines, then this would be
>> the right one,
>>
>> Otherwise, =multi (like sports) would be the best.
>>
>> but you would not need such a tag, since it would be
>>
>> substance=gas
>> substance:detailed=multiphase_gas
>>
>> if you keep it at two levels of detail (water, gas, oil,  fuel,
>> sewage, heat, coolant, etc),
>>
> I'd like to repeat once again that "substance" doesn't seem to be a nice
> key descriptor for values like "gas", "fuel", "heat", as it refers to
> physical matter/material and "heat" or "gas" or "fuel" in its actual
> meaning aren't materials.

+1
but what do you suggest. Do we need a key for the state of matter or
better use water_steam or hot_water or fluid_propane ?

>> using the colon separator would keep from making additional tags
>> (everything would be kept in the substance tagspace) - especially
>> generic tags like fuel= water= gas= which might have uses elsewhere
>> (like the water_tap discussion here earlier) or be confused for other
>> uses (like not a subkey, but a straight key by itself), someone could
>> stick fuel=unleaded_87 onto a gas station. Or does that already
>> exist?

Have a look at fuel=* [1]. Nice, we already have the value in key
variant and a key=value variant with possibility to use semi-colon.

At least, we should consider the same tags for the same substances/fuels.

How about substance=wood_pallets.

cu fly

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fuel