[Tagging] waterway=stream & oneway=1

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Jul 4 20:12:09 UTC 2015

On 7/4/2015 12:57 PM, Mike Thompson wrote:
> Is it really necessary for a way that is tagged waterway=stream to
> also be tagged oneway=1? Isn't this implied?
oneway indicates that traffic is restricted from traveling the other
direction. I suppose this might happen in a busy canal system, but on
virtually any stream or river, it is in error.

> Please see this example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/306529208
> note it appears that after I originally entered the way its direction
> was reversed (i.e. it now flows uphill). Perhaps someone with a better
> understanding of the history tools could confirm this.

Version 2 indicates that the direction of flow is southwards. Version 1
indicated that the direction of flow was northwards. In addition,
version 2 indicates that the direction of travel was southward.