[Tagging] Rural Alley?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jul 8 23:42:27 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 6:03 AM, John Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:
>
> I have seen some people insist that highway=track only be used if the landuse Is farmland, but not if the land is covered by bushes or trees because no cultivation is taking place.

That is weird as hell. These roads go everywhere - through little patches of cedar forests and bamboo stands to reach the next field, in (very tiny) tunnels  and on bridges under/over new train lines and motorways built to preserve farmers local access to fields when the new line cut through everything. I would say 20% of all motorway bridges and 90% of tunnels under the motorways in rural areas are for these 1 lane "famers access your lands" roads. Its just that with the topography of Japan, they've crammed fields into every conceivable little place. The example I linked to is the most straight forward.

This is besides the tunnels and bridges  a local person would use to move around the town, let alone for primary/trunk roads

These then *lead to* the tracks that access individual fields /orchards / plantings.

I think service=rural would be a good choice.

"Small, narrow, usually paved roads that provide local access to fields, stands, and otherwise (mostly) uninhabited groups of lands. Used by local landowners to access the tracks or paths that access the sub-divisions of a field, or lead to other service=rural roads. "

Javbw