[Tagging] Rural Alley?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 07:57:09 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 09.07.2015 um 01:57 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> In summary - it costs us nothing to treat these as a service road - and it gets us more detail at high zooms and more accurately reflects the road system as it exists - where the tracks are and aren't, and  they disappear at lower zoom levels - as they should.

I may be wrong, but I've always seen (rural) service roads as (typically relatively short) access ways which lead to a particular place like a technical plant (watertreatment, power/telco something), some business (restaurant etc) and not beyond. Ways with a lot of crossings/bifurcations won't be service roads because they will serve some collecting/distribution/through traffic function  that goes beyond access to one or two sites.

I think I'd tag your ways as unclassified lanes=1 if they were used by locals to get from one village to the other and were publicly accessible. When their only purpose is access to fields/forest (and relatively short distances) I'd use track & appropriate tracktype and surface tags. If the distances get very long I'd again use unclassified.

cheers
Martin