[Tagging] How to recognize memorial from monument?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sat Jul 11 11:03:02 UTC 2015

Simple question, hard problem: how to recognize (1) memorial from (2)
monument?

Definitions on Wiki are not clear and I think they need some love to
make them easier to use in practice:

1) A feature for tagging smaller memorials, usually remembering special
persons, peoples lost their lives in the wars.
Memorials can be often found at public greens or cemeteries.

2) A memorial object, especially large (one can go inside, walk on or
through it) and made of stone, built to remember, show respect to a
person or group of people or to commemorate an event.
Monuments are often built in homage to past or present political /
military leaders or religious figures / deities.

So what is a deciding factor here:
a) size (all examples of monuments are 15+ m),
b) wartime/all other (however military leaders are sometimes also
causalities of war),
c) unknown and real people / widely known and legendary
d) being the landmark (statue in park is typically much less important
and visible than the same statue in the middle of a square)

or maybe it's just purely subjective choice?

It is important for me, because in Warsaw we have a lot of such places
and I like to have some uniformity in tagging across the whole city.

BTW: memorial can be war_memorial, but it can also be in the form of
statue, stone or any other type at the the same type, so it seems the
form and function are unfortunately mixed here.

down" [A. Cohen]