[Tagging] service=rural (Was Rural Alley?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 13:51:09 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 11.07.2015 um 14:43 schrieb John Willis <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> Maybe this occurs in Europe too,

"Europe" is big and diverse, it really depends on the country and place. There're huge differences regarding the road structure (and not only) between the German south west and the German north east for instance, but both again are very different to the Italian south, which itself is very different from the Italian north. France has its own characteristics, so does Spain, not to talk about Britain (the Brits love to do everything different). Holland has its own very specific culture and tradition, etc. etc.

These differences stem from different topography, land use structure, economy, culture, history, tradition, habits. Then, even if formally the rules are the same, the reality is very different (e.g. you'd hardly ever see someone backing up on a motorway in Germany, nor have a roadside "break" to get something to eat or use the emergency shoulder to pass slow traffic. All of this is heavily sanctioned and people don't do it. Now in Italy I see this every time I'm on the motorway and I thought that maybe fines would be smaller, but when checking it I found out that Italian penalties are actually tougher, just that nobody cares about it ;-)

Back to your well constructed and maintained unimportant roads: I think these are typical for rich countries/regions with high population density.

cheers
Martin