[Tagging] Highway proposed/planned distinction

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 17:38:03 UTC 2015

This is a question of language.
The OSM life cycle discussion
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lifecycle_prefix
lists "planned" as duplicate of "proposed". I would agree with that.

As a map user I always like maps that look ahead and show planned roadways,
not only those where you can already see the construction work going on.
This has the added value when you plan a trip, that you would be alerted to
possible problems (in case the local mappers missed the transition from
"planned" to "construction"). I would tend to suggest that we keep the
Proposed and Under Construction objects visualised with different
representation.

Volker
(Italy)