[Tagging] Highway proposed/planned distinction

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:51:54 UTC 2015

On 14 July 2015 19:57:30 GMT+01:00, jonathan at bigfatfrog67.me wrote:
>Linguistically I would say proposed comes before planned.  Planning
>your wedding is not the same as proposing marriage!

+1

>Personally I don't think we should routinely display proposed routes,
>because they may never come to reality, but planned routes are ones
>that have passed the usual planning discussions and are awaiting
>construction, which can sometimes be many months or years, but will
>happen, short of a political change of heart.

I think there's a fairly objective criteria that can be used to distinguish 'planed' from 'proposed' : if the financing has been completed (money has been set aside in the budgets and will not be used for something else), then it fits the osm definition of planned.

There was some amount of tagging for the renderer shortly after the railway rendering changes, but it didn't last long (that i could see) and we now have better, more finegrained data. The same would hopefully happen with planned/proposed, especially with a clear criteria and less historical confusion.
--
Vincent Dp