[Tagging] How to recognize memorial from monument?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:28:13 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 21.07.2015 um 14:18 schrieb Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl>:
>
> object=memorial (not even historic, because it may be built nowadays - let's get rid of those compulsive categories!)

I don't read "historic" in a way that the object has to be old, but that it is an object that refers to history (like any memorial does).

> memorial=obelisk (just the shape type)

if you want a tag for just the shape, call it like that, e.g. memorial:shape=*
Otherwise you'd end up with an inconsistent list of different properties under the same key, very much like here ;-)
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/memorial#values

FWIW, when proposing some obelisk tagging I deliberately used the man made key to focus on shape, there are obelisks that are not memorials.

cheers
Martin