[Tagging] access=designated wiki

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 24 23:35:41 UTC 2015

Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> writes:

> Hmmm.
> There is a problem.
> We (cyclists) would like to be able to distinguish between ways that can be
> used legally by bicycle, and
> 1) that do not have any traffic sign saying this
> and
> 2) those where there is some kind of traffic sign saying explicitly that
> this way can be used by cyclists

If that's what you want, map the signs.  If a way can be legally used,
then it shoudl be tagged as such, whether that's by observing signs or
reading the law.

> I assumed that this was the difference between
> 1) bicycle=yes
> and
> 2) bicycle=designated

No.  bicycle=designated is an official notion that bicycles are someone
more authorized than cars or foot and are to be considered the primary
use of a way.   An example would be a path that had signs saying that
while pedestrians are allowed, they must yield to bikes.

> Your proposal is well intended, but would water down the meaning of
> "designated" and would make it equal to the simple "yes"

That was my concern as well.   Designated needs some sense of an
official notion of primacy.