[Tagging] landuse=military

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 23:23:38 UTC 2015

On 27/07/2015 4:04 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 7/24/15 4:07 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> sent from a phone
>>
>>> Am 23.07.2015 um 23:50 schrieb Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>:
>>>
>>> i'm not at all persuaded that this is an appropriate use of
>>> landuse=military.
>> I agree that landuse=military seems a bit strange for a holiday resort for civilian employees and service staff off duty for recreation.
>> Are there military like access restrictions/security controls to enter that area? Any particular signs?
>>
> there is a gate on the entry road which checks id, but then there are
> gates for access to most any
> on park resort at WDW with similar checks of guest credentials.
>
> a bunch of this traffic occurred as i was returning from/recovering from
> the land of the rodent; sorry for not
> replying quicker. i'll bundle a few comments here:
>
> the wiki definition for landuse=military is very broad:
>
>      For land areas owned/used by the military for whatever purpose
>
> so the usage is correct if we strictly follow the wiki, but it still
> seems odd.
> we could tweak the wiki language, for example:
>
> ... directly used by the military for basing of troops and equipment,
> manufacturing,
> training and testing of arms, equipment and munitions.

The word "and" above .. if applied logically would mean all of those things need to be present for the tag landuse=military to be correct.

Substituting "and/or" would allow the mapper to use the tag for any, some or all of those things.

> or we could add this tag or something like it:
>
>      military=resort
>
> i didn't see military=manufacturing in the taginfo list, but we probably
> should
> add that in any case; the US DoD operates a number of facilities that
> make stuff.

There are a number of commercial firms that make military items .. would these too be tagged this way?