[Tagging] works_as_highway=primary

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Jul 29 16:37:53 UTC 2015

W dniu 29.07.2015 17:01, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):

> This is admittedly only the German situation but my guess is that many
> other countries operate in a similar way (i.e. do have more complex
> road classes internally than what is visible from signposted ref).

We have similar discussion about class of roads in Poland (this part is
in English, because the guest user joined):

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=519584#p519584

I was also asking few days ago about "internal" classification in
different countries, because the proposed scheme for Poland was:

highway:class:pl=S/A/GP/G
highway:category:pl=2/4/6/7 (the number is the same as the corresponding
admin_level)

[
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-July/025649.html
]

I am interested in rendering road (and railway) networks on the world
level for default OSM map style. Currently it's probably not possible,
but I guess what users expect is to see the - more or less - regular
network for all the countries and regions, regardless of technical/local
highway class or category changes. Any gap there mean we're drifting
away from the functional model, which is needed there instead of purely
technical one. But maybe if we have the local technical classifications
tagged, we could use global classes for such a functional view? Or maybe
there is another approach to show such coherent transport networks?

down" [A. Cohen]