[Tagging] man_made=works

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 05:24:20 UTC 2015

A preset is never going to help for cases where the store is a mix of
things.

The bakery in my hometown also sells cheese and some deli products. Does it
become a deli then ?
It sells chocolate eggs during the easter period, and chocolate and
marzipan figures around Sinterklaas. Is it now a confectionary ?
It sells pies all year, but mainly during the weekends.
For Christmas and New Year eve they even serve (almost) complete dinners.

It's still a bakery... but some people might be tempted to map it in a
different way.

Do I want to map all of those period dependent items ? Do I want to map all
the type of specialty breads that they sell (or not) ?

What I try to say is that we sometimes have to simplify things and make
choices in our mapping. I don't think OSM will be the only source on which
people will base themselves before going to a place. Maybe we will always
be the last one, i.e. people will look for a place elsewhere, the web, apps
such as Yelp and just use OSM for navigation, buy looking up the name.
That's fine for me.

regards