[Tagging] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:44:13 UTC 2015

> Am 03.06.2015 um 12:18 schrieb Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:
>
> oneway=uknown
>
> for the cases where soemone is not sure? Without a possibility to express
> that possibility armchair mappers can either stop mapping roads they dont
> know or make a mess of the data.

armchair mappers without local knowledge are not the preferred source anyway, but foo=unknown is a really bad idea that should not become standard.

Otherwise a lot more tags can be added with very few benefit:
maxheight =unknown
maxspeed, maxwidth, snowmobile, horse, foot, bicycle, hgv, hazmat, surface, name, ref, lanes, start_date, width, operator, cycleway, bus, psv, etc =unknown

We could also add turn_restrictions with unknown restrictions, e.g.
type=restriction
restriction=unknown
from to via etc.

Or we could draw unknown objects under the ice shelves of greenland, the antarctica or in other permafrost regions.

cheers
Martin