[Tagging] SHAPE_Leng, SHAPE_Area, GIS_ACRES

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Jun 3 16:20:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am encountering the tags SHAPE_Leng, SHAPE_Area, GIS_ACRES on US
> National Forests. If I am making other edits to the OSM element in
> question, can these be deleted?  Converted to some other tag?

Those are leavings from an import.  GIS systems often export such
information for good reasons.
However given that OSM is itself a geographic database, these tags are pure
junk in OSM.

If there's a primary key from the original source, that has some value, do
leave that.

Also take a look to see if the shape could be simplified: often thousands
of points can be removed without affecting the overall representation.