[Tagging] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

AYTOUN RALPH ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 4 07:28:00 UTC 2015

[    Errr road is where you cannot determine the classification.

highway=road is where you cannot determine anything other than it is some
link between features.

[     From satellite imagery I can infer the surface and number of lanes
most of the time.
[      I can usually infer the classification from the start, finish,
connecting road classifications and some cultural knowledge.

Then you have not been trying to find routes between villages in Africa or
Nepal during a HOT Activation where the unsurfaced feature you are seeing
could be anything from a path to a track to a tertiary road about the width
of a single lane or less.... and then again it could also be a dry
watercourse.

The rescue and humanitarian teams on the ground need maps as soon as
humanly possible and putting highway=road for all unknown classifications
is something that is easy for all volunteer mappers to understand and can
be recalled from that area and verified later. But at least there is
something tentative on the map for aid teams to attempt to get to the next
small village if it is at all possible.

And no...it is not possible to count the lanes on a sand track in the
middle of the bush... but that may well be the tertiary link in that area
and becomes an impassable muddy quagmire in the rainy season with small
deviations off into the bush where vehicles have tried to find a temporary
route around the mud trap.