[Tagging] SHAPE_Leng, SHAPE_Area, GIS_ACRES

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jun 4 11:52:00 UTC 2015

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 06/03/2015 05:59 PM, Mike Thompson wrote:
>> I am encountering the tags SHAPE_Leng, SHAPE_Area, GIS_ACRES on US
>> National Forests. If I am making other edits to the OSM element in
>> question, can these be deleted?  Converted to some other tag?
>
> These tags are an indication of a broken and un-discussed import, and
> objects carrying these should be deleted on sight.

That's overly judgemental and too hasty.

It's a sign of an import done not really well, which could well be from
before our current rules existed.  So it's appropriate to contact who
added it, and either with their blessing or if they don't answer purge
the goofy tags.  If the basic polygon and OSM tags are sensible, it's
unreasonable to delete them based on ancient history tag crud.