[Tagging] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 23:33:44 UTC 2015

On 4 June 2015 at 10:46, David Fisher <djfisher81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/06/15 00:48, pmailkeey . wrote:
> > A value of residential here  seems to need a key to identify whether it
> > relates to a building or landuse. However, you suggest
> > building=residential as possibly being redundant. In fact, I'd turn this
> > on its head and make landuse=residential (with the exception of moles)
> > redundant. The only residential landuse is directly under a building but
> > by using landuse=residential, such areas cover gardens and highways -
> > which are clearly not residences.
>
> The tag is "landuse = residenTIAL", not "landuse = residenCE".  In
> other words, as Lester Caine says, it demarcates a residential zone,
> i.e. an area containing (mostly) homes plus associated infrastructure
> such as parks, gardens etc, as opposed to an area of shops, offices,
> industry, farmland, or whatever else.
>
> I agree with some of your frustrations about the project, but I think
> you sometimes jump to negative conclusions too quickly.
> "landuse=residential" is clearly useful, and equally I don't see that
> "directions=xx" is any improvement on "oneway=xx".  Pick your battles!
>  (e.g. "amenity" I agree is a right mess.)

LOL !

The issue with the 'oneway' key is that the key itself contains 'data'
relating to the value. Oneway without a value would imply =yes whereas
building without a value (or =yes) would give data independent of the
value, IYSWIM

building=

hospital=

The latter describes the building without the need for a value.

I note your TIAL v CE above. Why do we need to know what the landuse is in
any case ?

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>