[Tagging] Changes + additions: shop= photo, hobby, model

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 10:40:50 UTC 2015

On 5/06/2015 7:34 PM, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> On 05/06/2015, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> shop=hobby No documentation present so added
>>
>>    * text to suggest a more detailed tag be used.
>>    * link to the wiki shop= hobby area.
> shop=hobby is a terrible tag. Every activity is a hobby to somebody,
> so shop=hobby gives no clue as to what the shop sells.
>
> So why document that tag at all ?
> * The wiki suggests that "hobby" relates to art and music, which I'm
> willing to bet is not what every users of the tag had in mind.
> * There's 204 occurences in taginfo, which is a fairly small threshold
> for "in use".
> * Even if the page starts with a "do not use" paragraph, it raises the
> prominence of the tag, contributing to the tag's popularity instead of
> reducing it.
>
> So I suggest deleting that wiki page.

What bout a redirect to the main shop page - specifically

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop#Art.2C_music.2C_hobbies

It says "Art, Music, Hobbies" in the title for that table so I'd take that to mean hobbies are different from art or music.
And that may help the user select from the presented values rather than making a new one?

I think that maybe best.

>   And of course, surveying and
> retagging all the "shop=hobby" you come across.

There are many shop values of lesser numbers .. some of them I think can be amalgamated to make larger groups.

Hobby is not one of them - that needs to be separated into a more defined product.