[Tagging] residential granularity / was Re: OSM is ... right ...

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Jun 6 05:11:22 UTC 2015

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 9:20 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> +1. Drawing a residential around a village was the early attempt with low-res
> aerial images. With the level of detail you get from both 20cm imagery and
> open-data property boundaries, my preferred level of granularity is up to a
> block, i.e. the landuse surrounded by residential roads (but not glued to them).

+1

Yea, there are some easily defined planned residential neighborhoods in Japan - but honestly there are very few of them, especially  compared to the US where there is pretty strict zoning in the suburbs - vs no zoning whatsoever in suburban/rural Japan.

I really like adding the landuses sub-block by sub-block, and in many cases plot to plot, because the imagery was good enough to do it.

it is also a ton easier than drawing all the houses - as the houses in Japan are 1/2 size and crammed very close to one another, so tracing them is very tedious.

Getting the basic landuses + parks in between the residential roads really adds detail to the map with little effort.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.43462/139.04558 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.43462/139.04558>

Javbw