[Tagging] Self serve and full serve gas stations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 9 11:07:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Andrew MacKinnon <andrewpmk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to propose that the tag full_service=yes be used to tag
> gas stations that are full serve (i.e. an attendant pumps gas, like
> all gas stations in New Jersey and Oregon).

Nope!  You're conflating minimum service and full service.  Check the signs
at the end of the islands:  It will be one of four values:  CARD (for
self-service cardlock only), FULL, SELF or MINI (for minimum service).

I honestly cannot remember the last time that I've seen a full service
station in New Jersey or Oregon (certainly not in the last decade).
Minimum service is the norm (they only pump your gas, and if it's a BP
brand, they don't even let you pay at the pump).  If it's slow or you get a
particularly enthusiastic attendant, you may get more, but at a minimum
service island, don't generally expect it.  Tips are not expected (you'll
legitimately surprise the attendant if you do tip 'em).  I can think of
places where there's cardlock (I used to be a Pacific Pride member when I
was in the transportation industry and had to go through their industrial
safety training) and one or two actually open to the public self service
stations (on the Warm Springs reservation where Oregon does not have state
jurisdiction).

Full service does cost more, because full service typically checks and tops
off any fluids you're low on, along with checking your tires and cleaning
your windows as part of the price included; and (sometimes, if they're
fishing for a bigger tip, since tipping is generally expected at full
service islands), cleaning up trash and vacuuming your car, all at no extra
charge.

The tag self_service=yes is already used for gas stations, but some
> gas stations are both self serve and full serve and charge a higher
> price for full serve. Thus I think that self_service=no should not be
> used in the context of gas stations.

Everything else being the same (taxes, base fuel price, etc), minimum
service is always about 10-15 cents *cheaper* than self service because
they're not having to foot the bill for untrained and unknown people
handling hazardous materials in a light industrial/retail facility.  Please
do not confuse this with full service, as there's typically a 20-30 cent
difference between the two.