[Tagging] Self serve and full serve gas stations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 9 12:35:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > While I agree that fueling only is minimum service and not full
>> > service, around here (Europe) minimum service is always cheaper than
>> > self because there is someone who does work for you, while in self you
>> > will do it and nobody has to paid for it (there might no even be any
>> > staff at the gas station, and you'll pay in advance at a machine).
>>
>> In the UK your card is pre-authorised, usually to GBP99, you cannot
>> easily prepay for an unknown amount.
>> >
>> The charge to your card is made after you have filled the car, with the
>> amount of fuel you have bought.
>

> payment in advance is possible with "GCHQ-save" cash as well, no
> compromising plastic needed ;-)

 One trick I've used when I've been tight on money in the past is to use my
QT QuikStart card to turn on the pump and then run inside to pay with a
card, since then the card will get run at the exact value of the total
instead of preauthorizing for a c-note.  Kum & Go is on the Honor System
(welcome to Oklahoma, folks!), in which you have the option of just
pressing Pay Inside to turn on the pump (which I've done if I'm going to
use Google Wallet, since their pumps don't have NFC readers yet).