[Tagging] Node objects in tunnels or on bridges?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:05:33 UTC 2015

On 9/06/2015 11:27 PM, Richard wrote:

> BTW I hope you don't tag all bridges with level=-1 in real world mapping???

  From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:layer

/Ways passing above other ways on a bridge will have a//*  higher layer
value*//,/

/ways passing in tunnels below other ways will have//*lower
(negative) values*//./

/All ways without an explicit value are assumed to
have layer 0./

All the bridges I have tagged are layer =1 or more.

None Of the bridges I have tagged are 'indoor' (so far) so a level tag is not used as in NOT required.

level=-1 is lower than level=0 or level =1

See  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:level and note the words

/For typical street and freeway crossings with bridges//layer  <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:layer>=*//  should be used instead./

> yes, that is logical. It would require adding the information whether it is
> right or left from the center of the road and renderers and other tools
> learning how to cope with it.
>
> Does it work in practice?

As the node for the object (bin, light etc) should not be on the road (as it is not) the information for the render is already there.