[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:14:41 UTC 2015

On 10/06/2015 4:44 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Here's a writeup on a "Duck" tag for this feature:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Device_Charging_Station

The name works well for the intended use.

However it limits the use of the tag.

For example .. a tourist might be able to charge their phone/etc in a
cafe/pub when they stop for a drink/meal. It may not be a 'designated
device charging station' but the hardware is there.
Normally you would ask before use .. but it is handy to know so a
selection could be made before entry and asking. Use of the access key
could use used to signify the asking condition.

Thus I think the name needs to be more universal, so that it may be used
for any power socket, preferably ones that are available for use (not
access=private! :-) ).

The value 'power_socket' might suit?

The keys 'amenity' or 'man_made' are applicable ...

> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3539479319/history
>
> I strongly feel that amenity=charging_station is fully entrenched as a
> vehicle charging station, and thus a new tag is needed.
> Using
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power_supply#Tag_values_for_type_of_sockets
> might work well, as long
> as the top level tag is new.