[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 10 17:07:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-10 07:44, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Here's a writeup on a "Duck" tag for this feature:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Device_Charging_Station
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3539479319/history
>
> I strongly feel that amenity=charging_station is fully entrenched as a
> vehicle charging station, and thus a new tag is needed.
> Using
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power_supply#Tag_values_for_type_of_sockets
> might work well, as long
> as the top level tag is new.

Why does everything have to be a 'station'? A station is a place where
trains stop, not where you plug your phone in. Plus it makes the tag
unnecessarily verbose, and more prone to errors.
Simpler to just tag amenity=device_charging

I would agree it is very different to places where you charge your car,
so should be a separate tag. And maybe that tag should be changed to
amenity=vehicle_charging or similar.