[Tagging] Self serve and full serve gas stations

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jun 10 21:06:32 UTC 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 3:13 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
>
> The only stations I know of that still do post-pay are RaceWay stations
> (or it might have been RaceTrac, it's been a while) and those require
> you to swipe a (store-issued) ID card at the pump first.

In Japan, a lot of the "automated" self stations (which of course accept cash at the pump, being Japan and All) are pre-pay, but there are a lot of self stations with an office and an attendant (ENOS J-quest stations) that are still post-pay. These are stations that opened in the last 5 years, so it is a conscious decision to keep doing this post pay, which is surprising to me.

As long as we're discussing weird gas station habits, you are not allowed to fill your own gas cans. An attendant has to fill them - and only 40L.  They made this change because of terrorist worries or some stupid reason.  And All gasoline cans have to be metal. All kerosene cans are plastic (so gasoline isn't accidentally put in a kerosene heater - which would explode and burn a house down). Farmers can get 200L of diesel in cans for tractors.

Javbw.