[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:40:33 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 2:38 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     On 10/06/2015 4:44 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Device_Charging_Station
>
>     The name works well for the intended use.
>
>     However it limits the use of the tag.
>     For example .. a tourist might be able to charge their phone/etc
>     in a cafe/pub when they stop for a drink/meal. It may not be a
>     'designated device charging station' but the hardware is there.
>

> A power spot under the table at Starbucks becomes a node within the
> shop outline:
> amenity=device_charging_station

But the intention there is not a 'device_charging_station'?

> ---
> One could tag every power outlet that seems to be in a public space.
> For many years I charged my laptop at
> airports by finding the places the cleaning crew plugged in their
> vacuum cleaners.  But that sort of accidental
> charging station is of a different character to a designated place.

If they are usefull and of interest to the public then I'd map them.
Where they cannot be used ..I'd not map them.

Another case.
Camp sites in their shower block sometimes provide power sockets for
hair driers/shavers .. they can also be used for device charging.
Oh .. those with laundries may have power sockets for irons ...

> Chain store device charging (like every corporate Starbucks location)
> should be discussed.  Maybe adding nodes
> to every one is less useful than creating a higher level expectation
> that the chain offers the amenity unless
> tagged with device_charging_station=no.

+1